Saturday, August 6, 2011

Claiming Sabbath

The Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, Third Edition, defines “Sabbath” as a “day for resting” and offers “Lord’s day” and “rest day” as synonyms for “Sabbath.” For me and others with regular church service responsibilities, however, this presents quite a conundrum, for Sundays are anything but a Sabbath day.
Before I became “responsible” for services, whether lay or ordained, and was a mere “volunteer,” it still was a Sabbath. It remained a worship experience and the duties stopped once I completed the service and/or my pastoral visits. Now, Sunday “duties” extend often late into the afternoon and evening, and the worship services are times of performance and service by me, for others, not something where I can be refreshed.

But I admit, however, that I still find that I am energized by each service and day of visits, so I know that I truly must be called by God to do this work.

I know that many Christian clergy strive to use either Monday or Friday as their day of Sabbath, seeking that that day might be a day of rest and refreshment for service to their congregations. But claiming a Sabbath when a ministry developer, with responsibilities for both clergy and lay at several churches (and in my case, eight churches), is something that I find difficult.

Is it wrong for me to be so sensitive to the fact that the clergy and lay for whom I am responsible are bi-vocational and thus might  be surprised to find I might be “unavailable” on a Monday or Friday, when they are working hard at their non-church job? Not to mention that those who successfully claim a Sabbath have differing Sabbath days between them and thus might seek my counsel on the “typical” Sabbath day that I select? And of course my formation responsibilities and multi-church duties generally mean Saturday rarely can be a day of “rest” any way.  

So I admit that it remains a continuing quandary for me, even after struggling with this for nearly two years. Other clergy in more conventional positions chastise me regularly for my lack of success in claiming a consistent Sabbath day and even more so for rarely claiming one. So I raise this query for my followers, and particularly other ministry developers who also are supply to so many clergy (particularly during the heavy month of August).  What might I learn about this by looking at what those with yoked or clustered churches do? And how do I turn off the smart phone without guilt?

I know! I should just turn the old smart phone off, right?! Readers and followers, any suggestions on making the techno break, cutting the old 3G cords, so to speak? I value your ideas and feedback. My clergy widower/husband will value your comments even more than me, I suspect!

Theresa