Monday, May 23, 2011

In, Aside, and Astride the Trenches

As I drive by the overflowing creeks and rivers on my way between the churches and my home, I cannot help but think of creek banks and trenches. The water is rushing so mightily and eerily close to the roads and houses. A quick rush of waters or a sudden change in the depth of the water and someone or something may be pulled away. It is so hard to keep one’s footing along the banks and trenches even when the water is flowing smoothly, but the concerns greatly increase when something unexpected happens.

Seeing these creek banks and trenches reminds me in some ways of the “cautions” of my work as a ministry developer. Many of my colleagues in the ministry developer world would say that we live, work and play in the trenches. We dig deep into what is going on at the various churches with which we work. We have the luxury of offering an objective stance that allows us to notice what is transpiring from the outside. More importantly, we can offer objective advice about possible options and solutions. For years, people have said that I “speak the truth”; perhaps that is both a gift and a burden that ministry developers must share. We are called on to “speak the truth” diplomatically, with care and love. Yet, sometimes, it is difficult to be the diplomat while speaking the truth in a manner that is truly heard as intended.

But today I am not thinking about this work from the midst of the trench, with mud squishing between the toes. Today, I reflect on the cautions that I must take to assure that I do not fall into the trench because of the unexpected—my failure to be prepared. Not that I can always be well prepared. God’s work is not predictable. But it does require me to keep my balance and to get my bearings as I move from one ministry or church to another, making sure that I do what I need to do and not spread myself too thin. Or hurt too many feelings in the process. It is a true balancing act. Although my favorite part of gymnastics was the balance beam, it was not because I have good balance. I am quite clumsy in fact, as anyone who knows me will attest. But I guess a good sense of humor does not hurt, and the ability to trust in friends and colleagues to pull me out of that trench when I happen to take a misstep. Since my colleagues in this work are many miles away, it is even more important that I develop communities within the various parishes (and outside them as well) to help give me reality checks and forgive me when I do take that occasional misstep.

As I look back again at these flowing creeks and rivers, I see a lot of energy. I see a lot of energy as well within the parishes themselves. I pray to God that I can keep my footing as I walk the trenches and do this work. I also pray that others will find it in their hearts to rescue me when needed.

Theresa