Thursday, June 23, 2011

Learning from our Biblical Fathers and Mothers

Most of the churches with which I work have elected to use the Track One or historical readings for this long period of Sundays after Pentecost until Advent. Thus, we will focus on the fathers and mothers of our biblical faith. We can once again learn about their importance to our biblical heritages and faith by delving into history, reading of their faith and witness.

As a ministry developer for several small churches, I see the importance of history and memory for the folks whom I serve. Last week, I decided to do Canticle 13 instead of the Psalm. Each of the nine times we said and heard the words “Glory to you,” I wanted to break into song, remembering the melodies to which those words are set in other churches that I attended over the years. I gravitated to my memories of what that canticle’s words and its tune mean for me. I remember the Gloria Patri of my own youth in another tradition and my fondness for the Gloria from a close relative’s church today.

I also am attracted by the history behind the canticle, which I shared with the church I visited last week. I noted my admiration that the three young men whose canticle we read could sing words of thanksgiving and joy from the heart of a blazing furnace on account of their faith in God. I also was impressed by the great level of detail to which the full Song of the Three Young Men gave thanks to God for all creation, including the heat of summer, the cold of winter, whales and cattle. More importantly, it offered me a reminder of mankind’s connection with all of creation, as we engage in continued creation, destruction, and re-creation of the earth and its bounty.

Serving rural churches in a beautiful setting of mountains and creeks makes it possible for me to reflect frequently on our connection with the land. That in turn reminds me of our connection with family and friends as we gather each week to offer support to each other, break bread together, share the common cup, and depart into the world to do God’s work.

Eucharistic visitors take a part of themselves and their congregations as they take communion from the services to parishioners. I make a connection with folks as I make pastoral visits or accompany parishioners for important events where they need a friendly companion—a friendly face in the scary crowd.

These connections reflect our own historical connections with each other—connections based on the stories and memories of ourselves and of our ancestors. We rely on these memories, both historical and fabricated, to maintain the connections that make us whole. Without those connections, it is difficult to make those visits, to engage in those conversations, and to build increasing trust and love within the community.

I am hoping that my frequent interactions with the various churches over the summer months, filling in for vacationing clergy, will allow me to help carry the stories of our biblical history into the present and future. I have the opportunity to grow further connections with them as we create new stories that will be the histories of future generations. As we unravel the historical pasts, we can weave new possibilities to be shared and passed along for generations ahead.

May I have the patience to wait and see what unfolds as our new beginnings while companioning my “friends” in this new history of creation!?

Theresa