Monday, February 27, 2012

Ministry Development Seeds

In my roles as a ministry developer and a vicar for two parishes, entering the gates to Lent, I find myself doubting my ability to provide good sacramental and pastoral care. Juggling multiple tasks has been in my personal and professional blood for many years. But, I find that I lose my “calming presence” in the midst of a juggling act, particularly with all of the extra juggling of multiple “hats” (or should I say stoles and chasubles) during this busy season. I know that I must be a good juggler and a marathon walker  during this period. Just thinking about it, however, can be a bit tiring.

On the other hand, I also am quite excited about the prospects of being at two churches, being present, being observant, just “being” with the people who make each of the churches “church.” I can focus on the pastoral visits and the sacramental needs of the parishes, while the congregation of ministers  are “doing” church all around me. With little effort, I now can immerse myself in being with them and actually seeing baptismal ministry all around me. I know that I will see it. In fact, I already do, but I know that I will REALLY see it these next seven weeks. I will see it blossom from slowly opening buds to full-fledged blossoms adorning the church, both inside and out. And I have faith that, like dandelion seeds, these blossoms will be sprouting increasing distances from the church doors.

Many of these ministers periodically express their concerns about me, with all of the demands on my time. So, I see in them pastoral care and hospitality ministry.

I see them leading and guiding Bible studies, so I see them building confidence in themselves and growing in their knowledge and their inquisitiveness.

I see them arranging for readers, and Eucharistic ministers, and altar preparers for the extra services. They are growing as parish and worship ministers.

A bud here; a blossom there; a leaf peaking out there. By Easter, I expect to see quite a bouquet of ministries and ministers springing forth to welcome the spring weather. And won’t that be a nice welcome to spring and Easter!? Truly a resurrection and new life in Christ and of the Church!

Theresa